LORDS TO HEAR EVIDENCE ON 4TH JULY
The House of Lords EU Energy and Environment Sub-Committee will hold a roundtable discussion to explore how food safety risk management decisions will be taken after Brexit on Wednesday 4th July. The Committee will question witnesses from Which?, Food Standards Association and the Food and Drink Federation, as well as others.
When issues that might pose a threat to food safety are identified, the decision about what action (if any) to take is normally made at an EU level. When the UK leaves the EU, this will no longer be the case. This session will consider whether the UK could remain part of that process and what gaps in food safety risk management may be created by us leaving the EU, which will need to be filled domestically.
The evidence session will begin at 10:30am in Committee Room 1 of the House of Lords. Giving evidence will be:
- Sue Davies, Strategic Policy Partner, Which?
- Heather Hancock DL LVO, Chair, Food Standards Agency
- Prof Erik Millstone, Emeritus Professor, University of Sussex
- Helen Munday, Chief Scientific Officer, Food and Drink Federation
- Tim Smith, independent adviser
Areas the Committee are likely to cover include:
- The extent to which food safety risk management is currently undertaken at an EU level, and how that process works
- The functions currently undertaken at an EU level that may need to be repatriated
- What will happen in terms of food safety risk management during the transition period
- The evidence session is open to the public. If you wish to attend you should go to Parliament’s Cromwell Green Entrance and allow time for security screening.
- You can watch the session live on the internet at www.parliamentlive.tv
- For further information on the Committee please see its webpage.
- You can also follow the work of all the House of Lords EU Committee and sub-committees on Twitter: @LordsEUCom
- The Committee is chaired by Lord Teverson. For further information please contact Anouska Russell on 020 7219 8535.
House of Lords Press Office,