Loch Duart, the independent salmon farming company based in Sutherland and the Hebrides, has been named as runner up in the Best Food Business category at the Rural Business Awards North during a ceremony in The Last Drop Village Hotel, Bolton. The awards, which are supported by online retailer, Amazon, are a celebration of all that is great about rural business in the North of the UK.
Alban Denton, Managing Director of Loch Duart, said, “It’s great for Loch Duart to be named runner up at the Best Rural Food Business Award. Our efforts to raise extraordinary salmon, asked for by name and enjoyed around the world, are completely wrapped up in being located in the Highlands and Islands. The beautiful rural environment we work in and the wonderful people who live and work in this area are central to Loch Duart’s success. I’d like to congratulate all the great businesses recognised at the awards.”
As a major business and significant employer in the remote North West Scotland communities, Loch Duart makes a substantial and positive contribution to the local economy. Loch Duart recognises the vital partnership between itself and local communities by supporting a range of projects including:
- a new honey and bumble bee community project in partnership with Plan Bee
- re-wiring Scourie Village Hall in Sutherland to enable it to secure an entertainment license
- funding to local schools towards school trips
- donations to Lochinver Lifeboat Station
- funding an automated external defibrillator (AED) in Uist
- support for Lochinver Community Hall refurbishment
- kick-start funding for the Greenpower Goblin kit Car Project for P7 pupils from Durness, Kinlochbervie, Scourie and Lochinver
- money towards Kinlochbervie Playing Field Association football pitch refurbishment
- support for both Ross County Development Squad & Lochinver Junior football team
For more information on Loch Duart Salmon visit www.lochduart.com
Further enquiries for Loch Duart:
Callum Spreng Tel: 0141 548 5191
Spreng Thomson Mob: 07803 970103
Loch Duart Ltd is an independent Scottish salmon farm based in North West Scotland. Producing around 5,000 tonnes per year, it employs 115 people in the Hebrides and Sutherland. The salmon is supplied to leading hotels, restaurants and retailers at home and abroad. Its unique farming methods include low density farming, a unique rotational fallowing system, swim-throughs and feed from sustainable sources to ensure lean, fit fish.
Loch Duart’s industry leading innovations include:
- The first fish farm in the world to achieve RSPCA Freedom Food approval.
- Loch Duart’s unique strategy of long term rotational fallowing optimised for each sea site according to conditions and fish numbers.
- In 2004, specifying sustainably sourced marine ingredients from traceable, identifiable lots for its salmon feed.
- Inventing a drum filter which can filter sea water down to 100 micron to collect any parasites and their eggs in the heavy water flows taken from the pens.
- In 2015 securing a source of capelin ‘trimmings’ for all the company’s fishmeal requirements to enhance the sustainability and quality criteria of Loch Duart’s salmon feed.
- Practising ‘environmental enrichment’ in their fresh water operations to stimulate the young salmon and improve welfare.