Put an Indian twist on an often forgotten British fish with this tikka recipe.
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 7
2. Trim the gurnard to remove any fins and the tail. Mix the Tikka marinade together and rub over the gurnard and marinate for no more than 30 minutes.
3. For the roast base – mix the red onion, garlic and ginger together. Pour the oil into the bottom of a large roasting tin and arrange the sweet potato across the base. Spoon over the onion mixtures and season well with salt and pepper.
4. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
5. Arrange the marinated gurnard on top of the sweet potato and roast in the oven for 10 – 12 minutes or until the gurnard is cooked. The fillet will pull away from the tail a little and will turn white.
6. Meanwhile – make the Raita: Mix the yoghurt with the drained cucumber and freshly chopped mint. Season with salt and pepper.
7. When the fish is cooked – scatter the herb over the top and serve directly from the roasting tin with warm Naan bread and the Raita on the side.