During his trip to Alaska in June 2016, the celebrated Adam Reid went halibut fishing to experience the fishing industry first hand. He caught, cooked and ate his own halibut creation. Adam is a passionate advocate for Alaska Seafood, having taken on the role as brand ambassador in the UK and places great importance on the role of sustainability in food sourcing and menu choices.
Why not try this recipe, inspired by Adam’s travels, and which has been served in Adam Reid At The French https://the-french.co.uk/. The restaurant was ranked #17 in the Waitrose Good Food Guide 2018 with an 8/10 rating. It also has three rosettes in the AA Restaurant Guide 2018 and is rated #26 in Square Meal’s Top 100 Restaurants 2017.
- 1 egg
- 200ml water
- 120g plain flour
- Blend water and eggs. Store in the fridge so it’s cold.
- Add cold mixture to flour and loosely mix in.
- It is important to not mix the liquid completely as the batter will become too heavy.
Ramson Caper Pesto
- 240g drained, pickled, ramson capers
- 120g toasted hazelnuts
- 50g flat leaf parsley
- 120g parmesan cheese
- Rapeseed oil (to taste)
- Moscatel vinegar (to taste)
- 200ml ramson caper liquor reduced to 1 jar
- Roast hazelnuts.
- Blend capers, nuts, parsley and cheese in thermomix
- Add reduced caper liquor, oil salt and vinegar to taste
Beef & Onion Butter
- 150g Bovril beef paste (or beef extract)
- 20g onion powder
- 5g celery salt
- 1kg pasteurised butter
- Weigh ingredients
- Put into a robot coupe and blend until combined into brown butter
- To grill halibut, brine flesh in a 10% salt solution for 8-10 mins, remove, pat dry, oil lightly and place directly on a grill over a white, hot BBQ. Using a pastry brush, continuously brush with beef and onion butter until coloured and slightly undercooked.
- To fry cavolo, trim away stalks, leaving 1cm x 7cm long leaves, heat some peanut oil to 170°c, and hold at that temperature whilst making the batter.
- Mix egg and ice-cold water well, add to sifted flour and very lightly mix with tweezers / chopsticks, don’t worry if still slightly lumpy. Coast cavolo pieces in batter and fry until crispy, season with smoked Maldonado salt.
- To finish, spread pesto on plate, carve halibut into two lengths and place one on each plate on top of pesto white face up. Stack cavolo next to fish and grate truffle over. Serve.